Yerba Mate - the drink of gods, the drink of friendship, or the vitamin bomb is a unique beverage by its taste, benefits, and its way of preparation!
In this article, we're going to introduce you to the three main ways of Yerba Mate preparation! Wait for it because you might be surprised!
photo by: Mykola Lunov
Probably many of you are familiar with the traditional way of Yerba Mate preparation - gourd, bombilla, and loose-leaf Yerba Mate, but there are a few more worth mentioning:
- The traditional Yerba Mate preparation
Guaraní people were the first who started this traditional way of preparing the Yerba Mate, and today it's considered as one of the most popular ways of Yerba Mate preparation. Here are the main steps:
- First, fill up the gourd with loose-leaf Yerba Mate (two-thirds).
- Then, cover the top of the Yerba Mate gourd and give it a nice shaking until the ''polvo'' (powder) gets out.
- After the shaking process comes the creative one, where you'll have to create a perfect angle (half-moon) so that the Yerba Mate will be on one side and creating a free space at the top.
- The next step is to pour a small amount of cold water over the leaves, in order to protect the nutrients from the hot water you’re going to pour in later
- Here comes out favorite part: Insert the bombilla and lay it flat over the Yerba Mate leaves.
- Then, pour hot water (80 – 100 degree F / 27 – 38 degrees C) to the top but be careful not to wet the angled Yerba Mate leaves.
- Take a sip and enjoy it!
- Yerba Mate prepared with a French press
If you are a person in a rush then Yerba Mate prepared in a French press is the perfect option for you! Let's discuss the main steps:
- First, fill up the French press with three full spoons of Yerba Mate
- Then, add cold water making sure it will cover all of the Yerba Mate leaves (just to protect the nutrients from the hot water)
- Add hot water (again, 80 – 100 degree F / 27 – 38 degrees C)
- Then, let it sit for a few minutes and press down the plunger
- Final step: Enjoy in each sip in your favorite cup!
photo by: nafSadh Khan
- Yerba Mate prepared with teabags
The easiest way to prepare Yerba Mate is of course with teabags!
- Take one empty teabag.
- Fill the teabag with a loose-leaf Yerba Mate and close it carefully
- Then drop the teabag in your favorite cup.
- Add a small amount of cold water and then fill the mug with hot water.