As we enjoy the benefits of drinking Yerba Mate from our favorite gourd, our gourd needs to be taken care of, too.
These tips will help you take proper care of your Yerba Mate gourd that will lead to timeless life spent gourd and lots of money saved.
‘Curar el mate or cure the matí’ is a process of adapting your Yerba Mate gourd to the Yerba Mate infusion. This curing process has two main purposes destinated to saving your gourd from cracks, mold, or any other damages that will make you ‘have to buy a new one’.
photo by: Ramiro Mejia
1) Removing the first (inner layer)
If your first choice for Yerba Mate gourd was a Calabash gourd, then this part is very important for you because these types of gourds have a first layer that is very soft and it's necessary to remove or scrape it properly. First, you need to fill the gourd with a loose-leaf Yerba Mate (we recommend an already used Yerba Mate) and then add a little bit of warm water. After this, leave the gourd to rest for one day. The next day your Yerba Mate Calabash gourd should be very well rinsed and then scrapped with a spoon, in order to take out the soft skin. Then this whole process should be repeated from the beginning.
2) Adaptation process
Curado or adaptation of your Yerba Mate gourd is also a very important part in the proper curing process so that you can prepare your gourd to the Yerba Mate infusion (bitter or sweetened with sugar in case you don't prefer bitter beverages)
Yerba Mate curing process:
- Fill your gourd with an already used loose-leaf Yerba Mate that's still wet
- Pour warm water and let it rest for one day
- Remove the loose-leaf Yerba Mate from the gourd
- Rinse your gourd until every part from the Yerba Mate is removed
- Gently scrape the first, inner layer with a spoon from the Yerba Mate gourd
- Fill it with a new loose-leaf Yerba Mate infusion, then add hot water and let it sit until the following day. Then remove - rinse - scrape until you have a Yerba Mate gourd ready to serve you and enhance the flavor of your Yerba Mate infusion!