Yerba Mate, the one of a kind beverage, the drink of gods, the beverage drank for centuries..shall we continue? Because there's many more things to be said about this infusion. In this article we would like to highlight some of the most common used and popular among the Yerba Mate consumers, ways of preparation!
photo by: Jorge Dancuart Allende
If your are a Yerba Mate lover, then you're for sure familiar with the traditional way of Yerba Mate preparation - gourd, bombilla, and loose-leaf Yerba Mate, but there are a few more worth mentioning:
- The traditional Yerba Mate preparation
Guaraní people were the first who started this traditional way of preparing the Yerba Mate, and today it's considered as one of the most popular ways of Yerba Mate preparation. Here are the main steps:
- First, fill up the gourd with loose-leaf Yerba Mate (two-thirds).
- Then, cover the top of the Yerba Mate gourd and give it a nice shaking until the ''polvo'' (powder) gets out.
- After the shaking process comes the creative one, where you'll have to create a perfect angle (half-moon) so that the Yerba Mate will be on one side and creating a free space at the top.
- The next step is to pour a small amount of cold water over the leaves, in order to protect the nutrients from the hot water you’re going to pour in later
- Here comes out favorite part: Insert the bombilla and lay it flat over the Yerba Mate leaves.
- Then, pour hot water (80 – 100 degree F / 27 – 38 degrees C) to the top but be careful not to wet the angled Yerba Mate leaves.
- Take a sip and enjoy it!
- Yerba Mate prepared with teabags
The easiest way to prepare Yerba Mate is of course with teabags!
- Take one empty teabag.
- Fill the teabag with a loose-leaf Yerba Mate and close it carefully
- Then drop the teabag in your favorite cup.
- Add a small amount of cold water and then fill the mug with hot water.