Tereré is a cold version of brewed Yerba Mate, and it's the perfect beverage especially during the hot summer days!
It is the national drink of Paraguay but consumed worldwide (nowadays). This beverage is made with loose-leaf Yerba Mate but instead of pouring warm water, it is prepared with cold water or sometimes juice.
photo by: Thiago Vieira
Prepared from Yerba Mate leaves, Tereré has a lot of antioxidant properties making it even more must-try beverage!
1 tsp Yerba Mate (loose leaf)
32 oz water
1. Yerba Mate gourd - guampa (gourd made from horn)
*You can use any cup or gourd, but we highly recommend you to go with the traditional guampa*
2. Yerba Mate bombilla
1. Fill the Yerba Mate guampa (or another cup/gourd) 1/2 full with loose-leaf Yerba Mate
2. Infuse the Yerba Mate - this is an optional step where you can add some warm water, enough to cover the Yerba Mate, and then leave for a few minutes. This step will give you a stronger taste of the Yerba Mate.
3. Add ice cubes on the top of the Yerba and then spice up the taste with herbs or fruit as desired
4. Pour some cold water or iced juice, wipe, and enjoy!