photo by: Luciano Belviso
Yerba Mate is a one of a kind beverage that is worth 100% trying it! There are many different ways of its preparation but today we're going to talk about the traditional way, which is always best recommended!
*In between process- before starting to use your new Yerba Mate gourd, make sure to cure it (if it's Calabash or wooden gourd) just by pouring Yerba Mate mixture with water in it, and then leave it for 24 hours. Then just wash the gourd and it's ready!*
For you to feel the best taste of Yerba Mate, follow these steps:
- Fill the gourd with Yerba Mate (till approx.). More Yerba means stronger taste.
- Cover the small opening of the gourd and shake up and down. By doing this the powder of the Yerba will remain at the top, and this will prevent the bombilla from clogging.
- Pour warm water and leave it be for 2-3 minutes, so you don’t burn the Yerba Mate.
- Enter the bombilla until you reach the bottom part of the gourd.
- Add more hot water until you almost fill the gourd. Don't worry if some of the leaves are dry with the first fill.
*Never move the bombilla otherwise it will be clogged*
If you are a new Yerba Mate consumer, expect the first sip to be like you're connecting with nature, because of its earthy, vegetal flavor, but also expect the bitterness that after a couple of sips you will enojy it!