If you're a new Yerba Mate consumer then this is the perfect article that might help you choosing the right Yerba Mate gourd for you!
Nowadays there are many types of Yerba Mate gourds, and we believe that it can be quite challenging for you to make the right choice. That's why we decided writing this article, in order to help you with your decision!
photo by: Dali
When buying a Yerba Mate gourd you should ask yourself these two questions:
1. Which type of Yerba Mate blend are you going to consume?
2. How much time do you want to spend on taking care of your Yerba Mate gourd?
- Yerba Mate can be found in different types of blends, sometimes with a lot of leaves and fewer stems, and other times you can find it with a lot of stems, or without. Overall there are four main types of Yerba Mate: Argentinian, Brazilian, Paraguayan, and Uruguayan.
- The Argentinian Yerba Mate have a lot of stems and that's why it has a lighter taste than others.
- The Brazilian Yerba Mate, or also known as Chimarrão, is a perfect type of Yerba Mate for the beginners because of its less bitter & softer taste.
- Tereré is the Paraguayan type of Yerba Mate, and it's cold Yerba Mate, unlike others, served in a special gourd, called guampa.
- Uruguayan Yerba Mate outstands others because it's drunk while very hot, without adding any sweeteners, fruit peels, or herbs. It's the most bitter type of Yerba Mate, although it doesn't have any stems, the production process makes this type outstanding in its bitterness.
- How much free time do you have during a regular working day? Why we're asking this? It's because a few types of Yerba Mate gourds, need to be taken care of. For example, the Calabash Yerba Mate gourds, have to be cured before the first use, but also will take you a small part of your day to properly be cleaned after their use. And if you don't take good care of this type of gourd it will eventually grow some mold, or even crack. It's approximately the same for the wooden gourds.
Whatever type of Yerba Mate gourd you'll decide to be your first option, the Yerba Mate itself will enhance you with its unique taste and aroma, a taste of nature!